Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Can't Take a Screenshot from Here, But ...


Creation vs. Evolution Was Indo-European Group a Sprachbund? · Φιλολoγικά/Philologica Interesting Videos, MegalithHunter, I just provide an Alternative Timeline · Assorted retorts from yahoo boards and elsewhere Babel (and excursus: Can't Take a Screenshot from Here, But ...)

It's funny how my answer is hidden, to see the dialogue given under my 5:31 comment, this is basically (I have omitted the "Répondre" signs) how it looks like on the screen:

Hans-Georg Lundahl
il y a 3 jours
5:31 ESV and DR differ on the need to have the actual remains of a tower.

Douay Rheims has: And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of Adam were building.

In other words, it is totally possible the project was left incompleted.

3 réponses

Hans-Georg Lundahl
il y a 3 jours
It is true that banu, as a perfect (I don't know Hebrew, I trust it is a perfect from the marking) might lend itself to pluperfect translation, but the LXX has ᾠκοδόμησαν and the whole verse translates as:

And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the sons of men built.

Hans-Georg Lundahl
il y a 3 jours
One reason to deny they had already completed it is in verse 8: and they ceased to build the city.

Réponse sélectionnée

J010011113
il y a 13 minutes
Douay Rheims? Well, I think I see the problem.

Hans-Georg Lundahl
il y a 0 seconde
@J010011113 It seems my previous reply disappeared ... would you be precise about what you think it is?

Hans-Georg Lundahl
il y a 3 jours
It is true that banu, as a perfect (I don't know Hebrew, I trust it is a perfect from the marking) might lend itself to pluperfect translation, but the LXX has ᾠκοδόμησαν and the whole verse translates as:

And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the sons of men built.

Hans-Georg Lundahl
il y a 3 jours
One reason to deny they had already completed it is in verse 8: and they ceased to build the city.

Réponse sélectionnée

J010011113
il y a 16 minutes
Douay Rheims? Well, I think I see the problem.


First remark - Yes, part of what I published as one answer on the previous blog post was in fact an answer to the video, plus two self-adressed comment answers.
Second remark - when you unfold the "three replies" (= my original two, and that of "J010011113" the four reply, mine to his, is not shown, it is basically caught in a loop. Could it be his IT skills abused to marginalise someone that he considers problematic for using an English translation actually approved by the Church that Christ founded, and that Ernest Camps tries to treat as an annoyance in preference over accepting my refutations?/HGL

No comments: