There is also a standalone, the shorter essay "The Humanitarian Theory of Punishment" ...
CS Lewis Tried to Warn Us
Brian Holdsworth | 25 July 2026
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULPJMOBb1v0
2:34 I'm also in favour of retributive justice.
I have been in prison, on a deed I still judge as legitimate defense, but the thing is, I have already served prison for it.
3 and 1/2 years (a pretty apocalyptic timespan) served two thirds before getting out, last third is reserved in case I should reoffend, so as to make a possible future punishment heavier.
On the theory of retributive justice, this is exactly what I would owe the Swedish justice had my act actually been culpable.
On the theory of humanitarian penalties, since my views haven't changed, I can still be interfered with to change me, and too bad if the legal system didn't allow for punishing me past last of June 2000, that's just something to get around.
I'm afraid certain evil men in your Catholic Church (I'm Catholic too, I just quoted Lateran IV against an Amish denying the identity of the risen bodies) have come out on the side of humanitarian justice. Continue to interfere with me, as long as I don't repent as if of a violent crime.
I'm not the least disputing that my act would have been one if unprovoked. A violent crime, that is. I'm just saying shrinks (and their "Catholic" hangers on) have proven me right that shrinks back on that day actually were in the act of destroying my life, so I actually did have a right to defend myself.
Recall, one part of what CSL said was, humanitarian penal theory was preferred as (back then) giving less likelihood of dangerous criminals getting back in the streets.
Oh, just in case you should change your mind, since 2000 I have been in garde à vue or otherwise in police custody more than one hour exactly twice. In 2006 or sth, a somewhat drunk girl went into a Restaurant to pee. She was thrown out, and someone not the owner followed her and manhandled her. He was not in uniform. I tried to step between and got beaten down to the street by him and also arrested over night, since apparently he was a policeman.
The other time was about a week starting with Wednesday August 15. In a library guards were standing over a girl who was lying down. I tried to step between, not by actual physical action, but shouting to people to defend her. I was told she was not being forcefully medicated, she had "tétanie" and I thought the French for tetanus was "tétanos" and didn't believe, and I was taken first to a mental evaluation, then to the psychiatric police cells and to a mental hospital. Within a week I was out.
Other than that, I have not been arrested though at times questioned, notably when sleeping in hallways. I have been mistreated in ways that make me dream of violent revenge, and I have not taken it.
Any "Catholic" who pretends I'm dangerous and should be observed and hampered the rest of my life is a crook of exactly the kind that C. S. Lewis warned against.
Mental hospitals were originally made for people who are suicidaln wantonly violent or in states where they obviously don't understand simple hygiene, like not deciding to lower pants when they have to shit (and have a place where they decently can lower their pants, bush or toilet). Part of my prison time I was in transfer to forensic psychiatry. One man I briefly saw had been there on false confessions to shrinks in cases of cannibalism (I didn't speak with him). He would not have been falsely condemned if not handled by shrinks and a cannibal is anyway not someone who psychiatry is made for. The people I regularly saw there and the people I had seen before the date when I defended myself convinced me, not one in ten, perhaps one in twenty of those who were being held were actually meant to be their. Diagnostics and preliminary diagnostics are so overdone that the patient corps becomes 10 to 20 times as big as it should be, meaning shrinks and their personnel get more jobs, if not more pay per hour.
The reason psychiatry is no longer functioning to keep a man like Decarlos Dejuan Brown Jr. out of the streets is, partly, perhaps it was not for him in the first place, and partly, it is overloaded and it is no longer sustainable. And the reason he hadn't stood trial on any of 14 previous occasions could either be he was being harrassed by police (and he came to think of himself as in a race war) or, if they were warranted, psychiatry had prevented him standing trial.
5:39 "no punishment is present here"
In Austria, Social Democrats and Nazis were in camps for political crimes. In Germany, tramps were in camps to reform them.
Hitler in the Tirpitz speech got out on the side of the Humanitarian theory of punishment when pretending the Austrian camps served "revenge" ... (he did have a few noteworthy things to say about England, though).
That speech is online, you can check it.
Mercy apart from justice is a suffocating tyranny with no limit to its imposition because the very authorities using it don't suffer any distress in doing so because they've been able to convince themselves of their own gentle humanitarian supremacy in the process.
14:07 Yes, a bit like the Apollo priests of Delphi (and some of the experts these days are descended from priests of Apollo and Aesculapius ...)
Have you checked what the five Greek cases of Apollo add up to in the gematria of the Greek Alphabet?
No comments:
Post a Comment