Thursday, December 22, 2022

Let's Fact Check First ... or Not


I tried to fact check with Nanterre University on whether it was credible that UPenn had 26 or 27 professors in Political Sciences.

So now I tried, and already having told you it looks a red flag to me, but then I was at much smaller subjects at University, and Lund is a smaller one than UPenn, so I really don't know.

Actually I'm not really even positive that "professor" covers same thing in US and Sweden. I think I have come across "docent" or "lector" being in English "assistant professor" - in Sweden a professor is chief of a department.

Internet Sleuths, I need help ... Who Is Brandan Roneel? | Ep. 62
Candace Owens Podcast | 16 Dec. 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81K7Eikx9UE


4:33 While listening, I have found Brandan Roneel as being a professor of political science at University of Pennsylvania.
He's not the first search result on this one, but I kept clicking "show more" ...
https://www.ratemyprofessors.com/search/teachers?query=*&sid=1275&did=45

Here is how he's rated:
https://www.ratemyprofessors.com/professor?tid=2701331

7:06 And a professor of political science being:
a) left leaning in many questions (guess why he got his seat!)
b) somewhat desperate to show off real documented knowledge about a right winger (even they need to sometimes back their statements up)
is also an option, and before you say "wait, professors don't get unhinged" - you haven't seen Frédéric Kurzawa who concluded I was a moron for not agreeing the Biblical Flood was a pure myth. Modern current sense of the word, obviously. He's professor of Catholic theology.

8:15 Technically, I more or less speak 8. But Dutch, Spanish and Italian just in written form, not in speech at normal speed. And for Latin that's the case with most, except set prayers. Me too.

Before you get unduly impressed by such a thing, check the language families. My 8 are only from Germanic and Romance. I have lost my Greek. I was getting into Polish and Lithuanian, but my Lithuanian from Spring Term 2003 was very rusty by Spring Term 2004, and my Polish from Autumn Term 2003 has rusted since 2004.

The only languages I have some fluency in (written, or spoken and written) are from Germanic and Romance families. Pick up one of either fairly well, and you can pick up others too, with due diligence and much use of writing. One could consider Swedish, German, English, Danish and Dutch as dialects of Germanic. One could consider Latin, French, Spanish and Italian as dialects of Romance. So, I usually say "I only know two languages, but in more than one dialect" ...

It is not highly usual, but it's also not something like a prodigy either.

9:45 I must admire you for one thing. You are able to sit at a dinner table with two male homosexuals in love. (Or at best two men pretending to be that, and realistically).

Perhaps it's more like I could endure the company of two lesbians, so perhaps I should admire your husband more. B U T ... while this tolerance is admirable, it is not always commendable.

14:17 Unfortunately, Josh Weed, who was gay when meeting and remained so when marrying his wife, Lolly, and who has four daughters with her, divorced her and is in a romance with another man.

Josh and Lolly and presumably the daughters are Mormons.

Mormons come in more than one denomination, by now. Some of them, apparently, are gay tolerant.

16:17 Yes, he did tell you he was a Doctor. He said he had PhD's and PhD is short for Philosophiae Doctor.

When you speak of a man with a PhD, it's proper to use Dr. When you speak of Dr. Jonathan Sarfati, it doesn't mean he has a MedDr but he has a PhD in physical chemistry.

17:32 Yes, not only he is a "professor at UPenn" / University of Pennsylvania, but he's also in fact rated as one.

This could be a scam involving the university in question, but it could also involve a real feat of someone being authorised to skip unnecessary parts of school and go directly for the things he was interested in.

As I look it up again, it is a kind of red flag to me, that one single university has 26 professors for one single subject.

26 professors in the Political Science department at University of Pennsylvania
1) Rudra Sil, 2) John Diiulio, 3) Avery Goldstein, 4) Marie Gottschalk, 5) Ian Lustick
6) Henry Teune, 7) Julia Lynch, 8) Robert Vitalis, 9) Edward Mansfield, 10) Michael Horowitz
11) Nancy Hirschmann, 12) Dan Gillion, 13) Rogers Smith, 14) Diana Mutz, 15) Albert Matteo
16) Michele Margolis, 17) Dorothy Kronick, 18) Andy Rachlin, 19) Marc Meredith, 20) Michael Jones-Correa
21) Guy Grossman, 22) Nathaniel Shils, 23) Brandan Roneel, 24) Brian Rosenwald, 25) Paul Silva, 26) Michael Strokan

Seven of them have no ratings, but Brandan Roneel 5 ratings, with medium rate 4.4.

21:27 A foundation is not a bank. It does not need to receive people over a desk.

Some foundation may think that using an apartment as an adress is a good security investment.

That said, those things are not my world. I wouldn't know if it was unique or marginally current or totally out of the question.

What I find intriguing is a university having 26 professors at one single subject.

At the then Classics Institution (perhaps it's reemerged into independence), there was one professor each of Latin, Ancient Greek, and it seemed to be the case with Classic Archeology and History and with Modern Greek, except perhaps Modern Greek was just a Doctor or Docent or Lector. In addition, Latin had a Docent (my second regular father confessor) and Greek a lector (a neo-pagan who liked making fun of feminists and wokeness), and I don't know exactly how much subsidiary teachers there were in the other parts, and all had pretty many PhD students. I interrupted my studies just before actually becoming one, but got access to seminaries when I had made 3 or 4 terms in Latin. Or exams for this, with some delays ...

Could be because the subjects were small ones. I'll ask Patrick Trabal if Sci Po is different so 26 professors at UPenn becomes credible.

[Patrick Trabal, as mentioned, did not answer.]

No comments: