Thursday, September 24, 2026

Yes, I Did Sign Up For Belief in Sacrifice of the Mass When I Converted


I did so consciously. I already believed the Real Presence before my Baptism and as a Lutheran, and was shocked at Calvinists not believing it.

But I learned of and accepted the sacrifice of the Mass while converting.


The BIGGEST Problem With The Catholic Church… (NOT What You Think)
iThink Biblically (Church Adelaide) | 22 Sept. 2026
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqj86vDBYRA


1:00 You are already misrepresenting.

The bread and wine do not become the Soul and Divinity, these are made present by "natural concomitance" ... (like the Blood under the species of Bread, like the Body under the species of Wine).

What you do get right is, the Human Soul and the Divinity are made present ... God as such is omnipresent, but God is made present in a way He wasn't there before, like when Jesus walked into a room, for instance in the house of Jairus.

1:16 Thank you for calling "many Catholics" basically Anglo-Catholics or High Church Lutherans.

You can be a believer in Real Presence, even so a Protestant, like Luther was, like the Danish born Queen of James I was, simply because you deny Jesus is being Sacrificed in the Mass.

In whatever sense that may be.

I learned this while converting, thank you very much, and that was in my teens. One of the ideas behind a Trad Resistance in Catholicism is taking a distance from the kind of people you referred to as "many Catholics" ....

1:27 "to appease the wrath of God"

I'm not sure you ever find that word used about the as yet unsaved or about God's attitude prior to Calvary ever in the Bible, I just skimmed over 35 mentions of "wrath" in the DRB NT.

I think the Bible uses the word either about an eternally unappeased wrath, against those rejecting His grace, or a wrath leading to an actual temporal punishment. Including but not limited to the end of the world.

In Trent Session XXII you do not find "propitiatory sacrifice" defined as "to appease the wrath of God" ...

3:40 Yes, we believe that ...

I was well aware of it when I converted in 1988.

4:05 The Bible teaches that Christ is not killed more than once.

It doesn't say the presence of His Sacrifice comes only at Calvary.

The one death is being shown forth in each ... sacrifice.

Get your Bible quotes straight!

On Calvary, He made once an oblation ... but it makes Him forever a priest on the order of Melchisedec, so, He is offering that one oblation again, as priest in the consecrated person, the duly ordained priest, and as victim in the consecrated Host. We would only be contradicting Hebrews 10 if we taught the Mass were another oblation than that once on Calvary.

So, how is it the same? 1) Same priest, Jesus. 2) Same victim, Jesus, His Blood separated from His Body. 3) Same goal of sacrifice, to propitiate, to atone for sins, to give thanks and to give praise.

4:19 Your quote and bishop Challoner's comment:

Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holies, every year with the blood of others
[Hebrews 9:25]

[25] "Offer himself often": Christ shall never more offer himself in sacrifice, in that violent, painful, and bloody manner, nor can there be any occasion for it: since by that one sacrifice upon the cross, he has furnished the full ransom, redemption, and remedy for all the sins of the world. But this hinders not that he may offer himself daily in the sacred mysteries in an unbloody manner, for the daily application of that one sacrifice of redemption to our souls.


5:33 Now, the quote, and a very clearly referenced parallel text:

But this man offering one sacrifice for sins, for ever sitteth on the right hand of God From henceforth expecting, until his enemies be made his footstool
[Hebrews 10:12-13]

The Lord said to my Lord: Sit thou at my right hand: Until I make thy enemies thy footstool
[Psalms 109:1]


But read on here:

The Lord hath sworn, and he will not repent: Thou art a priest for ever according to the order of Melchisedech
[Psalms 109:4]


For "priest" the Hebrew uses "kohen" the same term as for Aaronite priests. And the order of Melchisedech was this:

But Melchisedech the king of Salem, bringing forth bread and wine, for he was the priest of the most high God Blessed him, and said: Blessed be Abram by the most high God, who created heaven and earth And blessed be the most high God, by whose protection the enemies are in thy hands. And he gave him the tithes of all
[Genesis 14:18-20]


So, the eternal sacrifice of Jesus looks like bringing forth bread and wine ... well, that's exactly what we are saying.

6:11 "never to be offered again"

In the same manner.

No comments: