Thursday, April 11, 2024

I'm Glad CSL Got Out of his Belsen Situation at Wyvern


New blog on the kid: 7 Day Adventists in Putin's Russia · There is a Certain Brand of Orthodox · Is Someone Accusing me of the Faults of the Gospel's Pharisees? · Assorted retorts from yahoo boards and elsewhere: Asking Me For Patience is Stupid — and NOT Because I am Impatient, But the Patience I Have is Ill Used By Others · I'm Glad CSL Got Out of his Belsen Situation at Wyvern

Are All Types of BULLYING Bad? w/ Joe Heschmeyer
Pints With Aquinas | 8 April 2024
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVSr85F_EyI


There is lots of bullying that could have been half and half OK if the victim had had a right to leave the school or if the principal had had a right to expel the bullies.

Things become very different when bullies and bully victims are forced to stay together.

And instead of a sane reaction against catastrophic bullying taking the sane form of abolishing school compulsion, it takes the form of anti-bullying campaigns in school.

Those things are not effective, pupils who have been told not to bully will find ways to continue anyway.

It is possible that CSL at a certain school may have deserved bullying. I'll opt for him not deserving it, it is OK to love books more than sports. But I am totally happy with the fact that the day when he wrote his dad a suicide threat, he was taken out of the school he nicknamed Wyvern to hide the identity and described as Belsen in the chapter heading. More than one will be totally fine with him getting Kirkpatrick as tutor rather than continuing to face bullies. Unfortunately, the solution presupposes some freedoms for parents, and not all parents have them as against all schools.

I don't know exactly why both a teacher and some of the schoolmates loved making fun of Evaëlle. But I think a suicide would have been avoided if Evaëlle had been allowed to quit that school.

She was 11 when she managed to hang herself in her parents' home. There is no indication whatsoever she was bullied for being either transsexual or lesbian or anything really weird, or for having slept around and aborted.

Speaking of which, I was in school never bullied for actually being homosexual, but calling me homosexual was rather part of the bullying.

Thanks to a certain ideology "homosexuals should be protected against bullying" some who pretend to take some kind of care about my situation will to this day pretend I'm homosexual. That's continuing the bullying.

1:09 Some homes are definitely capable of protecting a bullied person among their children (note, plural) against depression.

They are definitely in a position to compensate for the bullying, tell them "sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me" ...

And it depends on the type of bullying.

When in one school teachers bully you for being lazy, and the comrades for being a Swede and wearing long hair (I somewhat stupidly thought of Samson), and the only other person at home is a mother, who is trying to come over bullying she suffered back in Sweden, perhaps that was not an option.

When in another school comrades bully you for being Christian conservative, while mother is again bullied by granny (through shrinks), perhaps that's also not an option.

Especially as in both schools, it didn't stop at name calling, though it certainly involved that. In both schools there was a directed effort to change me.

And, in both schools, that effort went against my known either limits of workload (Austrian schools require more work than Swedish ones) or of conscience. In both schools, no one at home to help me sift what I should and shouldn't take.

Both times, my mother saved my life by homeschooling. Both times it led to school compulsion coming back elsewhere and bullying coming back elsewhere and mother getting bullied for protecting me.

Whatever Joe and Matt want to say are things that could apply to situations the victim could get out from by retreating from the company. Or to situations when we deal with banter, not with dramatised "you are a disaster, and you need to change" type of bullying.

So, whatever you'd like to say, combine it with a fight against school compulsion (directly legal or de facto). Please!

1:28 And people should not be ashamed of things that are not shameful.

Like being against abortion or the theory of evolution.

Or like not being used to the kind of workload that the Austrian school system pushed children through. But to be fair, once I had tasted that one, the Swedish school system was easy as pie academically speaking.

As for my wearing long hair I cannot ask either mother or teacher from back then why they didn't talk it through. Maybe mother did want to get me thicker skin, and considered that a method.

3:47 A writer is not necessarily hired and does not need to look professional.

If you don't want me in your office, you don't need to. I'm totally fine with my texts in your printing press.

J u s t
i n
c a s e
you were like some other people seem to have done, adressing me while not adressing me, hoping I'd catch up while you needn't admit having meant me.

Note, I said "just in case" I am not claiming as a fact that that is the case.

Again, just in case you think I've done something wrong on the internet or need to be protected from online bullying by getting my online comment hidden, I'd be happy to take the debate, but I reserve the right to show it off, so as to tell others "look, someone else already tried to tell me, he couldn't prove his point to me, perhaps not to my readers either" ...

7:07 Like Catholics of the type obeying "Pope Francis" scapegoating Conclavists and sometimes Young Earth Creationists?

I'm very reminded that Karl Keating founded Catholic Answers. In the pioneering stage, he was defending Catholicism, but concretely a somewhat modernist Catholicism, accepting of Theistic Evolution, against a sect who were Protestants and Fundies and whom he simply labelled Fundies, as if "Protestant" was included in that. His first tract was arguably brilliant, it was a defense against attacks on the Eucharist, probably somewhat on the lines of "The Death Cookie" ... but before he had written his first 48 tracts, I think he may already have stumbled on the terrain where they were in fact more Catholic than he was, and he didn't realise what Vatican II had done in US, and what had happened in Paris even before Vatican II was not perfectly Catholic.

Here is Haydock:

Concerning the transactions of these early times, parents would no doubt be careful to instruct their children, by word of mouth, before any of the Scriptures were written; and Moses might derive much information from the same source, as a very few persons formed the chain of tradition, when they lived so many hundred years. Adam would converse with Mathusalem, who knew Sem, as the latter lived in the days of Abram. Isaac, Joseph, and Amram, the father of Moses, were contemporaries: so that seven persons might keep up the memory of things which had happened 2500 years before. But to entitle these accounts to absolute authority, the inspiration of God intervenes; and thus we are convinced, that no word of sacred writers can be questioned. (Haydock)


It's attached to the comment on Genesis 3:24, but obviously refers to all of Genesis 3, and also to the parts of Genesis 2 (or even some words in Genesis 1) that fell under human observation. And on to following chapters, with in some cases fewer intermediates, obviously. I disagree on some detail, like he uses a Masoretic timeline as per the Vulgate, I use the timeline of the Traditional Christmas proclamation. But I definitely agree in principle.

I confronted Karl Keating with this, and he thought Catholics don't need to bother about Haydock. Now, Haydock is not infallible, but it is a Traditional Catholic Study Bible. He seemed to imagine, totally ahistorically, that this was some kind of outlier. Again, I gave a list of Catholic authors who, after modern Geology had started the Deep Time fad, opposed it and taught Young Earth Creationism. He had known exactly one of them, and, again, he thought it was an outlier, and, again, this is ahistorical. His profession prior to full time engagement in Catholic Answers was lawyer. Now, lawyers are not the best historians. Not always at any rate. A Sedevacantist colleague of his pretended marrying at twelve had been illegal in all states in the mid-nineties. He claimed my story of a twelve year old girl who married an old man, to quit school, and of Clinton saying this was not to happen again, was bogus. I could not have read it in a magazine, and if I had, the magazine could not have done good journalism. I was basically delusional, if you asked him. I have since then found a campaign in California to end "child marriage" meaning mostly teen marriage. He was based in New York, probably New York City and was unaware of things elsewhere in the US. He had that idea from conversations, not from actually researching it.

9:04 50 M or 15 M?

My blogs have been viewed over 5 M times.

No comments: