- Is it true that the Catholic Church during the time of the Renaissance was rebuked because of the Crusades by the founders of the Reformation movement Martin Luther and John Calvin?
- Answer requested by
- Marc Bloemers
- Hans-Georg Lundahl
- none/ apprx Masters Latin & Greek, Lund University
- Answered just now
- It is more like Erasmus who remained a Catholic was against them, Luther started out Erasmian but became pro-Crusader at Turkish invasion attempt (first siege of Vienna) and remained so.
The Lutheran participation from Denmark and Sweden was seen very much as a Crusade involving even a secularised version of Crusaders’ Indulgence.
John Calvin, I don’t know. He was also not a founder of the Reformation but like Anglicanism second generation. He was a disciple of Bucer who was an eclectic disciple of both Luther and Zwingli.
Considering his own disciple Knox as well as the “spiritual grandfather” Zwingli died in Anti-Catholic “crusades” it is not likely.
You may have been thinking of Lollards or Waldensians or Albigensians, but that is a very different thing from the Reformation in respects other than ecclesiological and as to Sacraments and even Albigensians from the rest in even these matters.
co-authors are other participants quoted. I haven't changed content of thr replies, but quoted it part by part in my replies, interspersing each reply after relevant part. Sometimes I have also changed the order of replies with my retorts, so as to prioritate logical/topical over temporal/chronological connexions. That has also involved conflating more than one message. I have also left out mere insults.
- Other blogs, same writer
- A thread from Catholic.com (more may be added)
- Answering Steve Rudd
- Have these dialogues taken place? Yes.
- Copyright issues on blogposts with shared copyright
- I think I wrote a mistaken word somewhere on youtube - or perhaps not
- What is Expertise? Some Things It is Not.
- It Seems Apocalypse is Explained in a Very Relevant Part
- Dialoguing Mainly with Adversaries
- Why do my Posts Right Here Not Answer YOUR Questio...
Sunday, November 3, 2019
On Reformation and Crusades (quora)
Posted by Hans Georg Lundahl at 4:47 AM
Labels: Marc Bloemers, quora
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment