- Do you think that if purgatory exists, it is located on Earth?
- Hans-Georg Lundahl
- none/ apprx Masters Latin & Greek, Lund University
- Answered 1m ago
- Unlike the erroneous answer by James Hough (it’s application to other places called Heaven and Hell is not just erroneous, but heretical and condemned in Firmiter Credimus by Lateran III or Lateran IV, since Heaven and Hell will contain risen bodies), Purgatory definitely is a place.
I know of three theories as to its location.
My mother seems to somewhere have heard of “the holy planet purgatory” it could therefore be located on some body in the Solar System or exo-planets.
Dante considered it a mountain rising on the hemisphere antipodal to Jerusalem, but this would be debunked.
St. Thomas considered it a part of Sheol (among other things this involves Purgatory now and Purgatory under Old Testament remaining in the same place), namely below Limbus Patrum, and above Hell of the damned.
I’ll go for St. Thomas’ view, though I cannot exclude the planetary one totally.
- Other blogs, same writer
- A thread from Catholic.com (more may be added)
- Answering Steve Rudd
- Have these dialogues taken place? Yes.
- Copyright issues on blogposts with shared copyright
- I think I wrote a mistaken word somewhere on youtube - or perhaps not
- What is Expertise? Some Things It is Not.
- It Seems Apocalypse is Explained in a Very Relevant Part
- Dialoguing Mainly with Adversaries
- Why do my Posts Right Here Not Answer YOUR Questio...