- The Antichrist and The Restrainer - Chuck Missler
- You think the Church is the restrainer?
No. The Roman Empire (ended in Russia October 1917 and in Austria-Hungary in 1918) is.
- The specific event [CM had said taking away of restrainer was a specific event, not a gradual petering out.] was most likely when Karl von Habsburg left Hofburg - or will be a future impossibility of restoration or failure of restoration of Roman Imperial dignity.
Haydock : "St. Jerome indeed, and others, thought that the Roman empire was to subsist till the antichrist's coming, which by the event most interpreters conclude to be a mistake, and that it cannot be said the Roman empire continues to this time."
If it didn't subsist to the coming of the final Antichrist, it subsisted to the coming of clear precursors, such as Vladimir (not the Vladimirovich, as yet) and Bela, after Nicolas and Karl were taken out of the way.
In my study of how WW-1 echoes Apocalypse 19 verse by verse, I find Bela Kun rather than Lenin the closest parallel to Antichrist.
[Did I miss posting the link or did they edit it out? I am posting this Monday and was commenting this one Saturday. Here it is, anyway:]
Φιλολoγικά/Philologica : War of 14 a Rehearsal for Harmageddon?
[And I do think I did post a link to the Haydock commentary. But not seeing one now. Here it is:]
2 THESSALONIANS - Chapter 2
[If not, that was a bit clumsy, since I actually quoted from it.]
- If the Holy Spirit were the restrainer, He could not be taken away.
As you said, He is given without repentance, and this to a Church which also is always there. Matthew 28.
- As there were Roman Emperors up to end of WW-1, and as the world has been going very rapidly downhill since then, I think Roman Emperors is pretty right.
Also, confer the fact that the four beasts of Daniel reappear as composite beast of Antichrist - missing precisely one animal component : it has no eagles' wings.
Czarist Russia had eagles' wings as a symbol, but Putin hasn't got them.
- And no, Roman Emperors in the Christian sense have not been promoters of sins, fomentors of social problems or eager to profit from these to increase central power.
Even a Pagan and a persecutor of Christians, Diocletian, said "I hate nothing as much as change".
In other words, they were very Constitution abiding, generally - if you except Peter the Great in Russia and Joseph II in Austria.
- Only God has ever restrained sin as sin.
Perhaps a point.
But even sinners have restrained lawlessness as lawlessness. Even Theseus, who believed he was a son of "Posei-don" (in his day "potei Daon" = "lord Dagon") and allowed a demon to act that part, even Theseus restrained the lawlessness of a man like Procrustes.
- God's protection of Job against Satan can be involved in the actvity of the restrainer, but, God is not the restrainer, rather the restrainer is one whom Satan at first cannot remove, like at first he could not give Job plagues, and then finds he can remove, like Satan gave Job sores.
- [The restraining of Antichrist is] "an agency of the Holy Spirit".
But the Holy Spirit can act through evil men!
He spoke the Gospel through Kaiaphas. He preached repentance to Ninivites through a man who did not want them to regain His grace and who rebelled against His mission.
Therefore, while the Restrainer is such thanks to the Holy Spirit, it can be a man or a series of men, and of men who are not always themselves holy.
Not always - but usually. Most prophets were holier than Jonah. Most kohanim were holier then Kaiaphas who maybe even knowingly murdered God.
Note that the Holy Spirit is symbolised by olive oil, and that not just prophets and priests, but also certain rulers, kings, and Holy Roman Emperors too, from Charlemagne to Karl of Habsburg, from Justinian to Nicolas II, unless I misrecall are chrismated, are anointed with oil, since the Church (Catholic Church and Orthodox Church, the right Church and a very close rival) is asking the Holy Ghost to help them in restraining lawlessness.
Or were so doing, up to 1917-1918.
- The Church is not having a pre-Trib rapture.
The saints are however in some sense beaten by Antichrist - like an army is beaten.
Hence, while the Church is not itself a military unit in the most literal battle field sense, it involves one, which Antichrist can beat.
He can't beat the Holy Spirit. He can't beat the faithful of the Church as faithful of the Church, at least not those who most are willing to sacrifice. But if the saints have an army, it can be beaten, they can be considered as beaten by its defeat.
When the Czarist army under Denykin was beaten by Trotski's Red Army, in a sense, that was a prefiguring of Antichrist beating ... whatever and whoever is the Army of the Saints.
- A person can be grammatically neuter whether naturally masculine or feminine. In German, Hänsel and Gretel are naturally masculine and feminine, but through the [German dialectal diminutive] ending -el, they are both neuter.
- So, the restrainer, in masculine, is NOT the Holy Spirit.
- If the Restrainer is Holy Roman Emperors, the man of sin can already be revealed.
- No, you are wrong in believing a pre-Trib rapture for all of the Church and you are also wrong to consider that as the Restrainer being taken out of the way.
And so, the restrainer can well have been already taken out of the way, about 100 years ago.
St Paul did not say the Man of Sin would be revealed immediately after the taking away.
- "Don't look for him, we look for the coming King"
Well, but the King won't be coming until the Man of Sin comes ... and that one will deceive a lot ... and it was told to count the number of his name (Apocalypse 13:18).