Sunday, July 17, 2022

Consequences of Creationism : Jo Wharrier


Consequences of Creationism : Rik Elswit and Matthew Caine · Bob Trent · Marcelus Aurelius · AFB (+ Mike Sweeney) · Peter Tatford · Michael David Griffiths · Jo Wharrier · Paulo Oliveira · The Feasibilian Project

Q
What is the possible impact of the creationism theory to the world?
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-possible-impact-of-the-creationism-theory-to-the-world/answer/Jo-Wharrier


Answer requested by
Valentine Masaka

Jo Wharrier
Read Bible and the Quran carefully which is why I'm atheist
11.VII.2022
Very little. People may be uneducated and therefore sometimes a little gullible BUT in general most have a reasonable grip on reality. Flat earthers, anti-vaxxers, Creationists all exist in a cadre that feeds on its own information and eschews reason for conspiracy theories. They think that belief makes things true. It doesn’t of course though Trump tried hard to sell the idea.

Arrant stupidity is not something most people want to wear as a label which is why such fringe activities tend not to hold sway.

Hans-Georg Lundahl
12.VII.2022
You presume, the general public will continue, indefinitely, to compare creationists and anti-vaxxers to flat earthers?

Jo Wharrier
12.VII.2022
No. What I am saying is that they all make the same mistake. That erroneous belief is somehow fact.

Hans-Georg Lundahl
12.VII.2022
I was asking about your view on the general public, not your view of the creationists : will the general public, on your view, continue to consider creationism (and anti-vaxxers) as “arrant stupidity”?

Jo Wharrier
12.VII.2022
Maybe you thought you were, but the o/p addresses the actual question, and you then made an assertion that was incorrect which is why I replied No…

Hans-Georg Lundahl
13.VII.2022
Your op includes a sentence which I analysed as my answer, when you stamp it as incorrect, how do you analyse these words? Here:

“Arrant stupidity is not something most people want to wear as a label which is why such fringe activities tend not to hold sway.”

Given that “most people” and “the general public” tend to be identic, I analysed these words as meaning:

  • the general public doesn’t want to be creationist
  • because the general public doesn’t want to wear “arrant stupidity” as a label
  • and because the general public sees a confession of creationism as tantamount to taking such a label;


and my answer was a question about this third point : do you think the general public will continue to see creationism as “arrant stupidity”?

Jo Wharrier
13.VII.2022
Maybe you thought you were, but the o/p addresses the actual question, and you then made an assertion that was incorrect which is why I replied No…

“You presume, the general public will continue, indefinitely, to compare creationists and anti-vaxxers to flat earthers?”

YOU made the comparison with flat earthers and anti-vaxxers, not I, and I merely pointed out that they shared a common feature. They all talk within their group and think this gives merit to what they propound.

Your current comment is proposing something completely different.

Other than that, yes, I rather agree with your three bulleted points. There are a minority for each of these things and in general, the public level of education, certainly in most of the west, means that the press on TV and news shows clearly that these ideas are not held in high regards amongst those who should know (viz. academics). Consequently there is a serious stigma that becomes attached to those who publicly propound such.

Hans-Georg Lundahl
13.VII.2022
And the question is : do you consider this serious stigma will necessarily continue, that the “public level of education” will continue to be tied via TV and news shows to academics and these to evolutionism?

“YOU made the comparison with flat earthers and anti-vaxxers, not I,”

I simply thought “arrant stupidity” was resuming your actual comparison with flat earthers and anti-vaxxers in the previous paragraph of your answer.

I also turned it around, namely asking for both creationists and anti-vaxxers whether the general public will continue to class them with flat earthers.

Jo Wharrier
13.VII.2022
Hmm… You will forgive me if I say that it smacks of post hoc rationalisation!! I clearly stated they shared a common failing. I did not say that the public would compare them or think them equivalent which is what you are again repeating.

Do I think the stigma will continue? I have had a number of “discussion”s with creationists particularly. They have this predilection for strawman arguments based on what they think evolution needs to say so that there argument might have merit. They work backwards from the conclusion that they have decided on to find any sort of evidence that might support this. This is the shared habit with the other groups. The issues they are dealing with are very different and I see no reason why the public at large would group them together. That is not to say that the vast majority would view all of these groups as foolish. They clearly do.

Hans-Georg Lundahl
15.VII.2022
I am getting precisely one man’s version of what was said between (several pairs of) two men.

So, I cannot test your veracity or honesty with yourself when giving the accounts of your debates with them.

By contrast, I have a little blog and I tend to put debates I have with people with verbatim copy-paste from forum to my blog.

Assorted retorts from yahoo boards and elsewhere
https://assortedretorts.blogspot.com/


Jo Wharrier
21.VII.2022
“By contrast, I have a little blog and I tend to put debates I have with people with verbatim copy-paste from forum to my blog.” How nice. I am sure it all gives you a warm glow.

Hans-Georg Lundahl
23.VII.2022
It might interest you, you are on the blog.

Asked Feasibilian Project to notify all the others, since two of them had blocked me.

Apparently he didn’t.

Consequences of Creationism : Rik Elswit and Matthew Caine · Bob Trent · Marcelus Aurelius · AFB (+ Mike Sweeney) · Peter Tatford · Michael David Griffiths · Jo Wharrier · Paulo Oliveira · The Feasibilian Project

No comments: