Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Names in Narnia - Sharing Video AND Some Concerns in Comments


The Hidden Meaning of Names in Narnia Explained | Narnian Lore | Into the Wardrobe
Into the Wardrobe, 11 Sept. 2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FngFX5qNcgY


I

Hans-Georg Lundahl
0:36 Do you plan to make a video on 40 parallels between Narnia and Middle-Earth?

Ettinsmoor = Ettin Moors
giants at Ettinsmoor throwing stones
= giants at Grey Mountains throwing stones

Back 20 years ago, before I was homeless, when I made annual re-reads both of LotR and the Narniad, I made a list of 40 parallels ...

Into the Wardrobe
Wow! I have this in my episode idea list but the research seemed daunting! I think I'm aware of maybe 4 or 5 parallels or crossovers. Would you be interested in sharing your list??? I'd credit you for your work of course! If so, please reach out to me at ....

[see description of channel — especially if you have any parallels between Narnia and Middle Earth.]

Hans-Georg Lundahl
I'm sorry @IntotheWardrobe - I'd love to, but the list is, if still extant, on a paper in Malmö, I'm in Paris.

II

Hans-Georg Lundahl
2:26 "Boyce College is the college at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, located in Louisville, Kentucky. Southern Seminary is an agency of the Southern Baptist Convention. In addition to providing substantial financial support to the seminary, the Convention also elects the Board of Trustees of the seminary."

Obviously - I would under normal circumstances (myself being homeless and Trad Catholics contributing to perpetuate my poverty being two non-normal ones) rather be supporting the Trad Catholic equivalents.

Ada Unedited
Yeah, I sort of thought this was a bit dodgy even before I knew it was associated with the Southern Baptists because I think that going to a normal university and attending the CU is much better as you get exposed to the diversity of thought that exists in the real world. It means you can develop effective counterarguments rather than never challenging your beliefs because of a pre-set of comebacks. With it being associated with the Southern Baptists I wouldn't be surprised if they teach attitudes that are problematic in relation to sexual abuse and family power dynamics. Obviously we shouldn't assume it's horrible just because of that, but I think it warrants caution.

Hans-Georg Lundahl
@BecauseICantEdit "I think that going to a normal university and attending the CU is much better as you get exposed to the diversity of thought that exists in the real world"

Sometimes in ultimately very unpleasant ways ...

"It means you can develop effective counterarguments rather than never challenging your beliefs because of a pre-set of comebacks."

I've been there, done that.

I have developed counterarguments, and I have been ousted from social life over it.

"I wouldn't be surprised if they teach attitudes that are problematic in relation to sexual abuse and family power dynamics."

As in ...?

Hans-Georg Lundahl
@BecauseICantEdit "you can develop effective counterarguments rather than never challenging your beliefs because of a pre-set of comebacks."

For most students at secular universities - can you?

The secular professor may certainly be in a subject which is outside the culture war, but if he isn't - is he going to let effective counterarguments come through?

But if you develop counterarguments yourself, even extra-curricular, you may be in trouble, if the guys at your secular university don't like your position.

So, a confessional university is not just a haven of peace, it is also (in culture war subjects, as said) likely to give you good arguments rather than try to strangle yours if you manage to improvise any.

9:11 No. Kirke is simply Doric Scots for Church.

As a reader of George MacDonald, CSL was aware of Scots, and in The Pilgrim's Regress, the Church is actually personified as "Mother Kirk" ...

III

Hans-Georg Lundahl
9:11 No. Kirke is simply Doric Scots for Church.

As a reader of George MacDonald, CSL was aware of Scots, and in The Pilgrim's Regress, the Church is actually personified as "Mother Kirk" ...

Into the Wardrobe
I believe there were times (such as in Jadis name and others) when Lewis enjoyed the wordplay of multiple source words. This may be the case for Kirke, but I think of a good reason Lewis would have intended on referencing "church". Mother Kirk is a great reference! However, there are several reasons I could imagine he would have intended to point toward the idea of a circle.

Hans-Georg Lundahl
Circle ... @IntotheWardrobe ... is in Greek kuklos.

Wiktionary traces Κίρκη like this:
From κίρκος (kírkos, “falcon”). Compare Old Norse gýgr (“ogress, witch”) and Icelandic gýgur (“troll-woman, ogress”).

@IntotheWardrobe wait, while I look up the reference from The Bump, I actually find alternative meanings of kirkos.

κίρκος • (kírkos) m (genitive κίρκου); second declension

1) type of hawk or falcon
2) type of wolf
3) circle, ring
4) racecourse, circus
5) type of stone
6) (Hesychius) κωπηλάτης (kōpēlátēs, “rower”)
7) (Hesychius) ἡ τοῦ αἰγείρου βλάστησις (hē toû aigeírou blástēsis, “sprouting of the black poplar”)

For 3, it seems to be an alternative for krikos ...

Obviously, as it's a wiki, a bad reference could have come through ... but as far as it goes, it's in your favour.

IV
11:31 Good point.
Excellent point. The author of our reality is in perfect control over what names add up to 666 and what names don't, for instance.

HANSGEORG = 670 (phew, close call!)
HGLUNDAHL = 663 (phew, close call!)

No comments: