- Catholic Apologetics : Unlike many Eastern faiths, why do Abrahamic religions worship scriptures like the Bible, Quran, Tanakh? What makes billions of people really believe that their quirky books are the true word from God? Are they naive and their beliefs a giant hoax?
- Submission accepted by
- Theo Fessenden
- Hans-Georg Lundahl
- none/ apprx Masters in Latin (language) & Greek (language), Lund University
- “Unlike many Eastern faiths,”
Not the two biggest ones, which in their traditional versions tend to worship Tripitaka or Ramayana and Mahabharata. A somewhat smaller one tends to worship the Analects. An even smaller one, the Avesta.
“why do Abrahamic religions worship scriptures like the Bible, Quran, Tanakh?”
Any given such collection of texts has a community making about it certain claims:
- about the human authorship
- about how this ties in with (presumed or real) divine authorship.
The different communities and the different claims may be very similar to an Easterner, they are even so not equivalent or interchangeable.
“What makes billions of people really believe that their quirky books are the true word from God?”
I’m not sure whether someone worshipping Mahabharata or Avesta is in a position to speak about quirky.
Again, different communities make different claims, involving different bases for these claims.
“Are they naive and their beliefs a giant hoax?”
Supposing there is no such word of God - yes. But so are Eastern books that parallel claims are made for, not in relation to a unique God, but even so in relation to a unique source of truth.
Supposing on the other hand there is such a word of God - yes, most such claims, as well as the Eastern parallel claims, except for one.
Does this discredit the one along with the parallels? Not if the claims are assymetrically better than those of the rest.
co-authors are other participants quoted. I haven't changed content of thr replies, but quoted it part by part in my replies, interspersing each reply after relevant part. Sometimes I have also changed the order of replies with my retorts, so as to prioritate logical/topical over temporal/chronological connexions. That has also involved conflating more than one message. I have also left out mere insults.
- Other blogs, same writer
- A thread from Catholic.com (more may be added)
- Answering Steve Rudd
- Have these dialogues taken place? Yes.
- Copyright issues on blogposts with shared copyright
- I think I wrote a mistaken word somewhere on youtube - or perhaps not
- What is Expertise? Some Things It is Not.
- It Seems Apocalypse is Explained in a Very Relevant Part
- Dialoguing Mainly with Adversaries
- Why do my Posts Right Here Not Answer YOUR Questio...
Wednesday, May 24, 2023
Abrahamic vs Eastern
Posted by Hans Georg Lundahl at 4:51 PM
Labels: quora, Theo Fessenden
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment