Thursday, May 18, 2023

Disagreeing with Ray Comfort on Some Things


Why People HATE Tim Tebow's Faith, but Not Steph Curry's
Living Waters, 25 Dec. 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGAhGhF2wco


2:26 You definitely are not saved from an immediately previous state of sin by meriting it by feeding the poor.

Even when Jesus told St. Eustace "thy alms have pleased me" it wasn't the future saint earning this moment of conversion, it was one of the poor he had fed who prayed for him.

HOWEVER, once you are saved from sin, and constituted in righteousness, you very certainly keep your salvation by works, among these specifically mentioned not just here, but also in Matthew 25: FEEDING. THE. HUNGRY.

Note, I said "the hungry" and not "the poor" partly because Jesus Himself used that wording, and partly because as a poor I know what a hazzle it is to be overfed even if you aren't really hungry. Notably by people who a) think one is better off with food than with money one could spend on alcohol, and b) that they still even so are responsible for you.

3:15 Let's check. Mark 16.

14 At length he appeared to the eleven as they were at table: and he upbraided them with their incredulity and hardness of heart, because they did not believe them who had seen him after he was risen again. 15 And he said to them: Go ye into the whole world, and preach the gospel to every creature

Well, a bishop who refuses to preach to every creature (including salt and water, but forgetting no man) certainly is not obeying this.

The eleven were the first bishops of the Catholic Church.

You speak as if the same applied indistinctly to every priest, deacon, monk and even, as in my own case, layman.

3:26 Why are you making Lazarus a type of lost sinners, when clearly he came to the bosom of Abraham?

Abraham refused to raise him from the dead for the rich man's brothers (who were Pharisees), but Jesus did not refuse to raise him for the faith of his sisters.

And as Abraham had mentioned to the rich man, his brothers didn't convert and believe, but plotted to kill both Jesus and Lazarus too, instead.

3:40 The command that applies to all Christians equally is feeding the hungry, giving drink to the thirsty, and so on.

3:50 Charles Spurgeon encouraged a kind of wish for peoples' salvation that amounted to bullying.

What does Jesus say about someone who sins? Check Matthew 18! Not Spurgeon, who's in Hell and can't help you, but the words of Jesus, Who is in Heaven and can help whoever can still be saved.

7:01 I would actually say, St. Paul in Roman's 1 was talking of St. Thomas Aquinas' first way, specially as spelled out in more detail in Contra Gentes, book II (I think) and chapter 13.

God turns the heavens from outside, so the heaven of fix stars is turning around us at a speed of full circle every 23 h 55 min.

There is no way Epicure could be right that the heavens turn themselves around us, simply by a whirlpool effect.

Then this transmits the daily movement inwards, down to Sun and Moon (which lag behind quite a bit, Sun taking 24 h and Moon 24 h 55 min) and even Equatorial Ocean currents and winds of passage.

7:11 Unlike Jews and Christians, Muslims don't have the Decalogue as a text given Moses by God on Sinai.

The Surah's are very preachy, but not concisely conveying a message and also not concisely telling a story.

8:13 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour is n. VIII, arguably.

I just checked the Council of Trent's Catechism on the command - it is also forbidden to bear false witness against oneself.

If I pretended I were alcoholic, as that would be an admission most dear to some who "care" about me, I would be bearing false witness against myself.

10:33 God gave Adam that choice. On behalf of his descendants.

If we can inherit original sin from Adam, we can also benefit from the choice of the Second Adam, Jesus, and be justified.

14:04 Would you mind sending me what it says about Roman Catholicism, ideally in text that can be copied, not in an image of the paper pages?

You can figure out* my email by:
3 initials
@-sign
the thing that in US you might add to a doctor's email.

I'm not a doctor, but both of my parents were, they are retired, and I don't use it to pretend I'm a doctor, just as a nod to them.

You see, I think I have some refutation to do, and if it can't save your soul, since you might not believe what I say, it might save some other soul. That's one reason I publish on the internet, apart from it being fun.

As for second column of the left of the two facing pages, I can answer that here.

It is not a direct disobedience of "the second commandment" ... Here is the Exodus 20 expression of the FIRST commandment:

2 I am the Lord thy God, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. 3 Thou shalt not have strange gods before me. 4 Thou shalt not make to thyself a graven thing, nor the likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or in the earth beneath, nor of those things that are in the waters under the earth. 5 Thou shalt not adore them, nor serve them: I am the Lord thy God, mighty, jealous, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me: 6 And shewing mercy unto thousands to them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Not adore or bow down refers mainly to "strange gods" in verse 3.

Notice that verse 4, where you pretend to start "second commandment" mentions things, not people, and least of all people who are in some way close to the true God.

Even so, in the OT, it was understood as prohibiting depiction of saints, but this is mainly because one could not back then depict the true God. It's now 2023 years since one can that, and so one can also depict His friends as well without those images overshading Him or His Cross.

14:07 sth - as you mentioned Biblical archaeology, have you integrated my equation Göbekli Tepe as Babel of Genesis 10 and 11, or not?

Miqqedem means FROM the East, not TO the South by East.

* Here on the blog I can give it, under a video, trying to give an email might get the comment deleted. It's hgl@dr.com, and it's my public correspondence email, as further told here:

Correspondence de / of / van Hans Georg Lundahl : If you wish to correspond with me
http://correspondentia-ioannis-georgii.blogspot.com/p/if-you-wish-to-correspond-with-me.html

No comments: